Food of the Week:
Zucchini is one of the very low calorie vegetables; provide only 17 calories per 100 g. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Its peel is good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
It is a very good source of potassium, an important intra-cellular electrolyte. Potassium is a heart-friendly electrolyte and helps bring the reduction in blood pressure and heart rates by countering pressure-effects of sodium.
Consuming zucchini also boost ones intake of manganese, an essential mineral. Like vitamin C, manganese protects your tissues from free radicals.
The high levels of vitamin C helps prevent premature aging and cancer as well as inhibiting cell division
***Fun Facts: Zucchinis can be available all around the year, but they are at their best during late spring and summer seasons. ****
Interesting Facts about Cantaloupe
– Cantaloupe is high in Vitamin A and beta-carotene which are essential to maintain healthy eyes and preventing eye diseases such as cataracts
– Cantaloupe is loaded with potassium, which helps keep our heart rate normal and helps to send oxygen to the brain making us feel calmer and more relaxed
– Cantaloupe is a folate rich food. Folate is a B vitamin which keeps us feeling energized and helps prevent anemia. This especially important in pregnant women because it promotes healthy functioning and development of cells.
– Cantaloupe is low in calories, but high in minerals and vitamins High in Fiber. Foods in high fiber make you feel full longer
– There is a lot of water in cantaloupe which means that it keeps out skin hydrated and helps to reduce wrinkles and lines
– The antioxidants in cantaloupe combined with the high amount of water helps give our skin healthy glow