Food of the Week
5 Important facts on Spinach!!
- One cup of spinach has more than 100% of the needed daily intake of Vitamin A which gives our skin a healthy glow
- The vitamins in spinach help to protect our bodies against infection
- Once cup of spinach has more than 100% of our RDA of Vitamin K which is essential to the density and strength of our bones
- Spinach contains important minerals like manganese and zinc which help to fight off osteporosis and high blood pressure
- One cup of raw spinach has only 7 calorie
Spinach Fun Fact
- Spinach is originally from Ancient Persia (now Iran)
Delicious Spinach Recipe
Spinach and Egg White Breakfast Wrap
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup tomato, finely chopped2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup egg whites
- dash of salt and pepper
- 2 sprouted grain tortillas
- 2 Tablespoons pesto (purchase it pre-made, or combine ½ cup walnuts, 2 cups basil leaves, 2 cloves garlic, ¼ cup olive oil, and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice in a food processor and blend until it becomes a paste.)
- Spread a tablespoon of pesto over each tortilla and set aside.
- In medium sized skillet warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden. Add the tomato and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it is soft and wilted. Remove the veggies from skillet, set aside in a bowl.
- Pour the egg whites into the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the egg is no longer runny.
- Arrange half of the egg whites in a line down the center of each tortilla. Top with half of the veggies and then fold the ends up and wrap like a burrito.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 288 calories, 10g fat, 28g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, and 21g protein