- Kalamata olives are known as a black olive, although they are actually dark purple in color.
- A 4-tablespoon serving of Kalamata olives, roughly 8 large olives or 10 small ones, has 39 calories per serving, negligible amounts of protein, 3.6 grams of total fat and 1.1 grams of dietary fiber. Like other olives, Kalamatas are a good source of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E and vitamin K, given its small serving size.
- Olives contain phenolic compounds, which are natural antioxidants..
- A serving of about 20 olives, which you might enjoy in an olive-rich recipe like a tapenade, provides nearly 10 percent of your daily recommended intake of iron.
- Real Kalamata olives are only found on the Peloponnese peninsula in southern Greece. Growing under the Grecian sunshine, Kalamata trees have much larger leaves than other types of olive trees and absorb more sunshine.
Fun Fact: Both the Quran and the Bible mention olive trees, and some olive trees standing today are older than those texts. Carbon dating has shown that an olive tree in Crete is over 2,000 years old.
Second, there’s a lot of flexibility in the ingredients you can use in a recipe like this. Don’t have butternut squash? Use pretty much any other type of winter squash or even sweet potato. Don’t have chicken thighs? Sub in beef or pork. No onions but have a bunch of bell peppers? Chop ’em up and throw ’em in!
Planning ahead by making dinner in the slow cooker is a fantastic way to stay on track with your healthy eating plan.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 cups Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine all of the ingredients except the parsley and naan in a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve hot. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 315 calories, 11g fat, 695mg sodium, 7g sugar, 22g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 33g protein