- Green Chiles describe a type of spicy pepper that has THOUSANDS of varieties.
- They are very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium, a good source of Dietary Fiber, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
- A serving of 1 pepper (17 grams) has 10.8 calories, 0.1 grams of total fat, and 0.4 grams of dietary fiber.
- Green Chilis contain amino acids which are essential for just about every function that takes place within the human body (the synthesis of proteins, enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters, metabolic pathways, mental stabilization)
- Green Chiles are not only used in cuisine but also as ornamental plants, psychology, medicine, pepper spray, crop defense, and food defense
Fun Fact: Some cultures put Chile powder in their shoes to keep their feet warm. It was rumored that certain Denver Broncos players had sprinkled Cayenne Chile powder in their socks before a football game against the San Diego chargers in 1987. The powder helped the players resist the numbing cold that came from the blizzard conditions at Denver stadium.
Second, there’s a lot of flexibility in the ingredients you can use in a recipe like this. Don’t have butternut squash? Use pretty much any other type of winter squash or even sweet potato. Don’t have chicken thighs? Sub in beef or pork. No onions but have a bunch of bell peppers? Chop ’em up and throw ’em in!
Planning ahead by making dinner in the slow cooker is a fantastic way to stay on track with your healthy eating plan.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 bell peppers (any color), thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 (4oz) can green chiles, chopped (I use mild!)
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (16oz) jar green salsa
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon fajita seasoning
2 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Large lettuce leaves
1. Combine all of the ingredients, except the lettuce leaves and avocado, in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
2. Remove the chicken thighs, shred with a fork, and mix back in. Serve, using a slotted spoon, on the lettuce leaves. Garnish with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning. Enjoy!
One serving equals 202 calories, 6g fat, 589mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 20g protein.