- Cinnamon helps our stomach digest food more slowly. When you eat high carbohydrate foods you will notice a rapid increase in blood sugar, this is because our stomach digests and empties quickly. Cinnamon helps this process go more slowly.
- Hyperthyroidism ( having an over active thyroid) is a condition where the body begins to metabolize food at a suddenly increased rate due to inflammation of the thyroid. Cinnamon has powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, therefore reducing the risk for inflammation related illness.
- Simply smelling cinnamon has been shown to stimulate memory and improve cognition.
- Platelets in the blood function by sticking together when we are bleeding to clot around the injury and prevent large amounts of blood from leaving the body. It is possible to clot too much, causing blood flow to be less adequate. Cinnamon helps prevents over clotting and stimulates the regular flow of our blood.
- Both calcium and fiber are very prevalent in cinnamon. Both attach themselves to bile salts in our body (bile salts can cause damage to colon cells), thus reducing the risk for colon cancer.
Fun Fact: In ancient times, Cinnamon was only found in the most prominent of homes because it was so valuable. During that time it was worth more that gold!