- Red bell peppers contain almost 100% of the RDV of Vitamin A which is essential to healthy eyesight.
- A cup of chopped peppers, of any color, contains 100% of the RDV of Vitamin C which keeps the tissues in our body healthy and maintains our immune system.
- Peppers offer folate, a B Vitamin which pregnant women need especially much of in order to prevent the risk of birth defects.
- Lycopene is an antioxidant which gives red bell peppers their deep color and helps our body fight free radicals caused by certain environmental exposures. It may also help prevent some types of cancers, such as prostate cancer in men.
- A 1 cup serving of green bell peppers contains 200% of the RDV of Vitamin C which maintains a healthy immune system, healthy skin and strong bones.
- One orange pepper contains 190% of the RDV for Vitamin C.
- Orange peppers are a good source of Vitamin B6 which helps our body metabolize protein, producing red blood cells and moving hemoglobin through the blood (a lack of Vitamin B6 can make us anemic).
Fun Fact: Red Bell Peppers are actually Green Bells which have ripened!