- Arugula is an excellent source of several nutrients that support eye health, including beta-carotene, a carotenoid your body can convert into vitamin A.
- Arugula contains significant amounts of the three specific minerals that help control your blood pressure — calcium, magnesium and potassium.
- Arugula is richer in calcium and magnesium — a 2-cup serving of the leafy green vegetable provides 6 percent and 5 percent of the recommended daily values for calcium and magnesium, respectively, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
- 50 ounces of raw arugula is only 25 calories with 3 grams of protein, 4 carbs, and 1 gram of fat!
Fun Fact: Arugula is a tasty and popular ingredient on gourmet pizza! YUM!
Fun Fact: Another name for arugula is rocket. So if you are reading an Italian recipe that calls for and handful of rockets, they mean this spicy green – arugula!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 sprouted grain, flourless tortilla
- 1 Tablespoon hummus
- ⅓ cup cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup cooked chicken, chopped (or baked tofu)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh corn kernels
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded arugula
- 3 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Warm the tortilla in a dry skillet. Spread the hummus evenly over the tortilla.
- Top the tortilla with rice, beans, chicken and veggies.
- Fold the two sides of the tortilla in over the filling, then flip up the bottom edge and roll tightly.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 380 calories, 8g fat, 45g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, and 31g protein.