- Lentils are high in Fiber which makes them good to eat for people trying to lower their Cholesterol.
- Low in calories, but will fill you up.
- Since they’re high in fiber, they also make it a good blood sugar lowering agent because the fiber will prevent your blood sugar from spiking after a meal.
- Lentils are very high in magnesium which helps the blood flow from your heart through your veins and also helps to reduce the risk of Heart Disease.
- The energy that you get from eating lentils is slow burning, this means that they don’t give your body superficial energy from sugar and your energy levels won’t spike very high and then suddenly crash as it so often does with the sugar we eat.
*Fun Fact: India is the largest consumer of Lentils
Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 small red bel pepper, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
1 ½ cups dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 28ounce can crushed tomatoes.
1/3 cup dark unsulfured molasses
½ teaspoon ground allspice
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
3. Cover and cook until softened (about 5 minutes)
4. Stir in the Chili Powder and cook about 30 seconds longer.
5. Transfer the mixture to a 4quart slow cooker.
6. Add Lentils, tomatoes, molasses, and allspice and season with
cayenne, salt, and black pepper.
7. Stir in the water and apple juice, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours.
8. Add more water if Chili gets too thick