- The health benefits of guava include the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, constipation, cough, cold, skin care, high blood pressure, weight loss and scurvy.
- It is a somewhat round or pear-shaped seasonal fruit, and is light green, yellow, or maroon in color on the outside when it is ripe.
- Guava also has white or maroon flesh and lots of small hard seeds enveloped in very soft, sweet pulp. It is eaten raw (ripe or semi-ripe) or in the form of jams and jellies.
- Guava is very helpful for those who want to lose weight without compromising their intake of proteins, vitamins and fiber.
- Guava is very high in roughage and rich in vitamins, proteins and minerals, but it has no cholesterol and a low number of digestible carbohydrates. It is a very filling snack and satisfies the appetite very easily.
- An intake of guava can also help those patients who suffer from diabetes. The high level of dietary fiber in guava helps to regulate the absorption of sugar by the body, which decreases the chances of major spikes and drops in insulin and glucose in the body.
- Guavas are extremely good sources of vitamin-A, which is well known as a booster for vision health. It can help slow down the appearance of cataracts, macular degeneration, and general health of the eyes. It can not only prevent degradation of eyesight, but even an improvement in eyesight once it has begun to degrade.
- There have been numerous studies done in recent years on guava’s effects primarily on prostate cancer, breast cancer, and oral cancers. Guava leaf oil is extremely successful as an anti-proliferative substance, and has actually been shown to be more effective than some leading modern medicines in reducing cancerous growth.
Fun Fact: In many cultures, the wood is used decoratively and the leaves are used for obtaining black fabric dye.
Yield: 2 Servings
1 cup quartered strawberries (about 5 ounces)
1/2 cup guava nectar
1 (6-ounce) container organic strawberry fat-free yogurt
1 frozen sliced ripe small banana
5 ice cubes (about 2 ounces)
Place all ingredients in a blender
Process 2 minutes or until smooth
Amount per serving
Fat 0.5 g
Sat fat 0.1 g
Mono fat 0.1 g
Poly fat 0.2 g
Protein 4.2 g
Carbohydrate 36.2 g
Fiber 3.6 g
Cholesterol 2 mg
Iron 0.5 mg
Sodium 49 mg
Calcium 116 mg