- One cup of Pupkin has more than 100% of the recommended daily value of beta-carotene.
- Good source of carotenoids (what makes pumpkins orange in color), which is good for the eyes and may help prevent cataracts
- 1/2 cup of pumkin has 20% of the recommended daily value of iron.
- A handful of pumpkin seeds has about 40% of the necessary intake of iron
- Pumpkin seeds contain an oil which is good for prostate health
- High in fiber which helps keep us full longer
- The beta-carotene helps prevent the damage caused by free radicals which cause cancer
- Pumpkin seeds are high in tryptophan, and amino acid which gives us the sleepy feeling after we eat turkey on thanksgiving, but also is importat in the production of serotonin, which is crucial to being in a good mood
- One cup of cooked pumpkin has more potassium than a medium size banana which helps our body restore electrolytes after a workout
Fun Fact: Pumpkins are not a vegetable… They are actually a fruit!
½ cup of fresh[pumpkin pureed in a Vita-Mix or blender
1 frozen avocado
1 cup freshly made almond milk, optional soy or coconut milk
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
½ cup ice
Add all of the ingredients to the Vita-Mix blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 3 minutes or until smooth – this may take longer if you are using a regular blender and NOT a Vita-Mix. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Serving Size 391.3g
Calories from Fat 5