- High in antioxidants such as Nasunin which protects our cell (brain in particular) from the damage caused by free radicals.
- Contains cholorgenic acid which has anti-cancer, antiviral and anti-LDL cholesterol benefits.
- Good source of dietary fiber which aids our digestive system.
- Contains vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene.
- Has not fat. In one cup serving there are 6 carbohydrates and 27 calories.
- Includes healthy amounts of Vitamins B and C.
- The deeper the color of the eggplant the more anthocyanins there are. These Phyto-Chemicals fight against cancer, aging and neurological diseases.
- A good source of minerals such as iron, potassium and manganese
- Has a low Glycemic Index.
Fun Fact: Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family, just like tobacco. Even though eggplants have more nicotine than any other vegetable, it is still in such small amounts that you would have to eat about 40 pounds of it at once in order for it to be harmful.
Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 35 min Servings: 6
1 large eggplant
1/4 cup tahini, plus more as needed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
1 pinch ground cumin
Salt, to taste
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup brine-cured black olives, such as Kalamata
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill.
Preheat an oven to 375°F.
Prick the eggplant with a fork in several places and place on the grill rack 4 to 5 inches from the fire.
Grill, turning frequently, 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the eggplant to a baking sheet and bake until very soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, and peel off and discard the skin.
Place the eggplant flesh in a bowl.
Using a fork, mash the eggplant to a paste.
Add the 1/4 cup tahini, the garlic, the 1/4 cup lemon juice and the cumin and mix well.
Season with salt, then taste and add more tahini and/or lemon juice, if needed.
Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl and spread with the back of a spoon to form a shallow well.
Drizzle the olive oil over the top and sprinkle with the parsley.
Place the olives around the sides.
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings per Recipe: 6
Amount per Serving:
Calories from Fat 65 (63%)
Total Fat 7.2g (11%)
Saturated Fat 1.0g (5%)
Cholesterol 0.0mg (0%)
Sugars 2.4 g
Sodium 10.0mg (0%)
Total Carbohydrate 9.0g (3%)
Dietary Fiber 4.1g (16%)
Sugars 2.4g (9%)