· Lentils are high in Fiber which makes them good to eat for people trying to lower their Cholesterol.
· Low in calories, but will fill you up.
· Since they’re high in fiber, they also make it a good blood sugar lowering agent because the fiber will prevent your blood sugar from spiking after a meal.
· Lentils are very high in magnesium which helps the blood flow from your heart through your veins and also helps to reduce the risk of Heart Disease.
· The energy that you get from eating lentils is slow burning, this means that they don’t give your body superficial energy from sugar and your energy levels won’t spike very high and then suddenly crash as it so often does with the sugar we eat.
*Fun Fact: India is the largest consumer of Lentils
Sweet and Spicy Lentil Chili
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 Small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Chili Powder, or to taste
1 1/2 cups Dried brown Lentils
1 8oz Can crushed tomatoes
1/3 Cup Unsulfured molasses
1/2 tsp Ground allspice
Cayene Pepper to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Apple Juice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cover skillet and cook until softened (about 5min). Stir in chill powder and cook about 30 seconds longer.
- Transfer the mixture tp a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the lentils, tomatoes, molasses, and allspice, and season with cayene pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir in the water and apple juice, cover, and cook on Low for 8 hours. Add more water if chili gets too thick.