A few days back I took an easy scenic drive to Maryland. You know the drive I’m talking about; it’s the one that offers white space for thinking. During my drive, I spoke out loud and chuckled to myself. The weekend would be a good time – full of laugher and “remember that” strolls down memory lane. What actually happened was so much more. You see, the younger of us cousins is fighting for her life. And, if you’ve ever known or had someone that you love fight to live, you may have also witnessed the subtle strength, beauty and commitment that they pour into their every action, their every movement (things I think we often take for granted). The time that I spent with family this past weekend was a celebration and I was reminded that:
- No day is promised
- The key to happiness is to choose fun and joy
- None of us are alone
- The mind and body are gifts
- Self-care is our personal responsibility
Now, I know remembering all of the above is no small task. And, that we all get distracted at times but I can promise you that as your coach, I’m working on these things just like you. Together, let’s take JOY in a few simple acts of self-care daily.
- 30-60 seconds of prideful push-ups
- Consume plain water equal to half your body weight in ounces
- Get restful sleep 6-8 hours
- Stretch major muscles for at least 30 seconds
- Schedule 5 minutes of quiet time and deep breathing
If should ever need my help making your self-care or fitness a priority DO Text 732-702-0088 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org message away; It is my life’s work to be of health and wellness service to you.
Your Trainer & Coach
We have some exciting events happening in both studios for this month! Check out the flyers below and make sure to RSVP to reserve your spot! (They’re filling up fast!)
Learn to Make it: Clean-Eating is a Lifestyle (Food-Tasting Workshop) – January 20, 2019
Every third Thursday of the month, Join Tracey for some delicious food-tasting! From 2pm – 4pm, learn to make a new dish that’ll leave you light yet satisfied.
Kinetics 5K Fun Run – February 3, 2019
Every month, we’ve been hosting a Sunday morning 5k every first Sunday of the month. Keep your fitness resolutions and take a lap around Highland Park with your friends! One at 7:30am and one at 9:00am!
Partner Yoga – February 14, 2019
Love yourself a little this evening by trying something new! Yoga with a partner redefines trust, strength, and excitement. Go through flows and poses with someone else’s support! No partner required – we’ll pair you up there! 7:00pm (replaces Hot Yoga)
Hey Folks! Metra Here 🙂
Tis the season to NOT gain weight and be merry!
Here are 5 very important reasons to keep your workouts going this holiday season to avoid unwanted weight gain.
- Exercise makes you feel more confident.
- Exercise improves your mood.
- Exercise reduces the risk of chronic disease.
- Exercise eliminates unwanted pounds.
- Exercise improves longevity.
Know Thy Teammate, Be Motivated and Inspired
Stephanie shares how she makes self-care a lifestyle.
When did you start taking yoga?
I took my first yoga class in 1995 after a friend invited me to a class she was teaching at a local community center. After having done a decade of step aerobics, I fell in love with the yoga poses and the emotional connection to myself during my practice. I began and maintained a regular yoga practice for the next 10 years until I somehow lost interest and my practice became frustrating and uninspired.
How did you get back on track with practicing yoga?
Fast forward to meeting Metra 6 years ago and finding hot yoga. I once again became excited about my yoga practice and truly enjoy hot yoga.
What is your favorite yoga pose?
The poses I like the best are warrior, balancing poses and inversions. Any pose that asks me to find strength and trust myself I find interesting. I like to imagine myself having the kind of courage in my everyday life that a warrior may have needed. Even when I fall over I know there’s an opportunity to learn something from it and try again!
What do you love about training at Kinetics and Kinetics Flow?
I love the combination of hot yoga and boot camp! They give me very different things in terms of exercise and have added to a well rounded weekly routine.
What about willPower & Grace; I heard that was a favorite of yours as well?
willPower is one of my favorite classes. I took it on a whim after overhearing Metra say how hard it was and how great she felt one day after a class. It’s a combination of strength training, balance, core and cardio – all barefoot! It’s a perfect workout. I highly recommend everyone try it out!
What is important to you when it comes to self-care and exercise?
I once heard someone say that daily exercise isn’t a priority, but a necessity. Priorities can be changed but things that are necessary cannot. When you make regular exercise a part of your week it makes a big difference. Also the 6:00am classes are THE BEST! It feels so good knowing you started the day doing something amazing for yourself.
We are so grateful and thankful to have Stephanie on our team (Thank you Stephanie!) If you ever need help jump starting or improving your self-care regimen, don’t hesitate to reach out. Give us a call 732-317-8931, drop us a text 732-702-0088 or email us at email@example.com.
See you soon,
Fitness & Fashion Tips and Tricks! Check out the video below to get your leg-sculpting tips and fashion tricks (perfect for sculpted legs in the making)! Join us for our next episode on how to tone your whole body and look great in a bathing suit!
- This plentiful fish is a rich source of complete protein, selenium and vitamin B-12.
- Specifically, albacore tuna is a better source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids than other tuna species.
- The essential omega-3 fatty acids in tuna lower the risk of heart disease.
- Tuna fish is packed with protein. A single serving of only 165 grams (approximately 1 can of tuna fish) contains more than 80% of your daily protein requirement.
- The B complex of vitamins has been connected with a wide range of different health aspects, but as a whole, they are mainly involved in improving the metabolism and increasing the efficiency of our organ systems, while also protecting the skin and increasing energy. By consuming tuna fish regularly, you can ensure that you are active, energetic, and healthy.
- Helpful Health Tip: Although awesomely nutritious, canned tuna does contain levels of mercury and should be eaten sparingly especially by pregnant women and children. Additionally, when eating canned tuna, it is suggested to drain it thoroughly then rinse the fish again to remove extra sodium added during the packaging process.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
1 green apple, chopped
2 green onions, tops only, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cans albacore tuna, in drained
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup red grapes, halved
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl and serve immediately. I like to serve this salad in large butter lettuce leaves or scooped onto avocado halves. Enjoy!
One serving equals 314 calories, 15g fat, 12g carbohydrate, 183mg sodium, 2g fiber, and 33g protein.
March 21, 2018
Both Kinetics and Kinetics Flow will be closed due to inclement weather and poor driving conditions.
Due to the impending storm and schools closing, we will be closed for Wednesday, March 21st morning classes. Please keep checking the site or our Facebook pages to see if we will open for Wednesday, March 21 evening classes. Thank you and see you in the studio soon!
- Green Chiles describe a type of spicy pepper that has THOUSANDS of varieties.
- They are very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium, a good source of Dietary Fiber, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
- A serving of 1 pepper (17 grams) has 10.8 calories, 0.1 grams of total fat, and 0.4 grams of dietary fiber.
- Green Chilis contain amino acids which are essential for just about every function that takes place within the human body (the synthesis of proteins, enzymes, hormones, neurotransmitters, metabolic pathways, mental stabilization)
- Green Chiles are not only used in cuisine but also as ornamental plants, psychology, medicine, pepper spray, crop defense, and food defense
Fun Fact: Some cultures put Chile powder in their shoes to keep their feet warm. It was rumored that certain Denver Broncos players had sprinkled Cayenne Chile powder in their socks before a football game against the San Diego chargers in 1987. The powder helped the players resist the numbing cold that came from the blizzard conditions at Denver stadium.
Second, there’s a lot of flexibility in the ingredients you can use in a recipe like this. Don’t have butternut squash? Use pretty much any other type of winter squash or even sweet potato. Don’t have chicken thighs? Sub in beef or pork. No onions but have a bunch of bell peppers? Chop ’em up and throw ’em in!
Planning ahead by making dinner in the slow cooker is a fantastic way to stay on track with your healthy eating plan.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 bell peppers (any color), thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 (4oz) can green chiles, chopped (I use mild!)
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (16oz) jar green salsa
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon fajita seasoning
2 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Large lettuce leaves
1. Combine all of the ingredients, except the lettuce leaves and avocado, in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
2. Remove the chicken thighs, shred with a fork, and mix back in. Serve, using a slotted spoon, on the lettuce leaves. Garnish with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning. Enjoy!
One serving equals 202 calories, 6g fat, 589mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 20g protein.